Chemical and physical experiments that involve light generation traditionally attract the most attention.
Compared to classical pyrotechnical experiments, the luminescence and photochemistry experiments help to reveal much deeper connections and contexts and are directly linked to a plethora of phenomena that find important routine and expert practical applications. This sparks a much greater curiosity and interest for chemistry and related sciences.
What can you do with the kit?
- visually appealing motivation experiments (fluorescence, phosphorescence, chemiluminescence, triboluminescence, pyroluminescence)
- all needed chemicals are ready to use
- the experiments reveal deeper connections and contexts and are linked to a plethora of phenomena of practical importance:
- Energy and its conversion (related to physics)
- Polymers and their 3-D structure
- Reaction kinetics
- 20-page manual with detailed explanations and experimental procedures
- 1 m2 mind-map with many interesting connections and categorisation of light phenomena
The didactic value of this kit lies in the connection of attractive experiments with previous pieces of knowledge, related sciences and an illustrative clarification of mutual contexts.
How does such a regular application in chemistry classes look like?
- Interaction of mass and electromagnetic radiation
When explaining the interactions of mass and electromagnetic radiation, you can show the beautiful fluorescence experiments.
An explanation of diffusion can be more easily visualised with a grain of fluorescein dissolving in water.
The topic of catalysis can be easily visualized on glowing solutions that glow much brighter after the addition of a catalyst.
- Effect of temperature on the rate of chemical reactions
Along the same lines, you can demonstrate the effect of temperature on the rate of chemical reactions.
- Photochemical reactions
With the help of cyanotype process, the students can make their own photographs and witness a fotochemical reaction in a hands-on-activity. At the end of the class, students can make a take-home souvenir.
- Structure of polymers
The chapter polymers and their structure is suitable for demonstration of the influence of molecular weight on the physical properties of a polymer. You can illustrate the influence of polymer cross-linking and create and an eye-catching now-newtonian hydrogel fluid. You can find many more examples of similar didactic experiments in the manual.
The version of the kit Professional contains a two-component epoxide resin which can be colored with various fluorescent dyes and make an attractive fluorescent or phosphorescent cast.
It is up to you how far you want to go in your explanations for a given age group of students. You can use the kit both for the youngest as well as for the advanced students.
With school didactic kit Chemistry and Light, you will be able to spark children´s interest not only for chemistry itself, but also for the increasingly important interplay among various scientific disciplines.
Team Chemistry and Light